Tuesday, June 7, 2011

='w'= Time is of the Essence (PART 2)


Ahhh, a subject we are all probably familiar with, procrastination. (If you claim you aren't, my advice to you is "stop reading and get back to work you lazy bum".) That 4 hour project that's due next week? do it the night before its due. The 8 hour project? Just working on it for 2 days should be enough. Seriously, who doesn't think this? (If you don't, then kudos to you, many of your peers will become jealous of you and probably find a way to hook you on to video games so that you too can procrastinate. Its almost like a zombie infestation, except half of us are already infected. P.S. I'm on the winning side.) It gets worse when it gets near the end of the year or when you reach senior year. (A project? Nah, I can do that later. Homework? Do I need to even finish it to pass this class? It gets really bad really quick =,=. ) Personally, the amount of work that I have to make up from this lethargy includes 5 outlines, 1 major project and a draft for a major project. The worst part? I really don't care.

Don't get me wrong, I have fairly decent standards (at least a B in every AP class, a B+ for non-AP), but with the end of the year closing in and with the lack of motivation to do any sort of school work, the idea that all this work can be finished at a later time is very...enticing. Its pretty much gotten to the point where all the make up work becomes shoved to the back of my mind until their due dates are directly in my face (and as for projects, who minds if they take a couple points off for it being late?). Diagnosis? I'm a lazy arse.

I guess it could be considered hypocritical that I slack off knowingly that this will happen all over again, but everything short of summer break has ever been able to break this streak. Nearly everyone I ask also agrees: procrastination is incurable. The best way of dealing with this monster that I have found is to make it so that your work is interesting. This way you ACTUALLY WANT TO DO WORK, BLASPHEMY spits on ground. (But then again, who actually wants to do 2 hours of calculus packet?) If life had a reset button so that you could do all you wanted, then go back in time to just finish up work, it would be so easy...

Well I guess I finally finished my long 3 day rant on procrastination (the first 2 days I procrastinated...tee hee), so closing advice: find a job you enjoy, or else you're screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment